Saturday, April 2, 2011

BRAKHAGE



  Hussein

 So, let's start with the boring semantics of the past. Robert Sanders was born on January 14th 1933....wait a minute...you must be asking yourselves who the hell is Robert Sanders? Well, James Brakhage is Robert Sanders and no, this isn't Tyler Durdan Syndrome (Kudos for those who got that). Sanders was adopted three weeks after he was born and renamed James Stanley Brakhage.
After this wonderful transition of names, we will fast forward a few years and go onto his early years of failure. Like all good artists, they suck at one point (dramatizing...I can't speak for all artists, although that would be pretty good if I could). Brakhage dropped out of Dartmouth College to pursue filmmaking but...that didn't turn out so well in the beginning. His first film Interim was completed when he was nineteen and he moved out to San Francisco because the "artistic atmosphere" better suited his style and to attend what was then called The California School of Arts. Once a drop out, always a drop out, right? At least it applies in this case because he didn't finish his schooling there either. What does one do when they can't finish school? Move to the other side of the country, of course! Off to New York he went where he spent a few more years being a failure and living in poverty.
Through the years between 1960 to 1980, Brakhage began to become more and more successful and found a style or two (or couple..he had a few techniques that he was known for). These styles include: handheld camerawork, painting directly onto celluloid, fast cutting, in-camera editing, scratching on film, and the use of multiple exposures. He was also interested in mythology and inspired by the arts, which include music, poetry, and visual phenomena. Brakhage explored themes of birth, mortality, sexuality, and innocence. One film that demonstrated his involvement with his own artistic vision (aka what he saw was beautiful) was Text of Light which only was made up of images of refracted light in a glass ashtray. Talk about a trippy experience.
 
THE WONDER RING

 
(As you can see, someone put music to it, which I thought added a nice tone, but pretend it's not there?) Now as you watch this film...what do you think of? Why is it called The Wonder Ring? Well, we did mention some of his techniques before, right? Unless you're pretty much asleep at this point but how could you with a short snippet of some opera playing through your speakers? In any event, this is clearly done with him going handheld. What does that mean? He's literally holding the camera and filming. Every single shot there is motion. Whether it be him panning, tilting, zooming, the motion of the train shaking, everything is in motion. It pretty much looks like he's just filming a train ride. But...it's more than that. The juxtaposition of the light and the darkness is rather well done, even though the editing is rather uneven. His movie, his style, so no harsh critiques. To each their own, right? Life never stops moving, there is motion in our everyday lives, and that was captured on film. Even the reel itself is moving along. Although, much like the poetry we read in class, these films can't be chopped up into bits and examined in depth. Take it as you see it. A sensory experience, that's all it is. It looked good, he shot it, he cut it together and sent it out into the world.
 
DOG STAR MAN

 
In this one we see Brakhage's other forms of art and expression. Scratching the film, drawing on it, over exposing, under exposing. It's all a bunch of clips thrown together (in what looks like a non organized manner) but like it was mentioned before, it's a sensory experience. How does it make you feel? Anxious? Exhilarated? Sad? Happy? It's different per person and impossible to decipher Brakhage's true emotions behind it. Honestly, you can't even tell if he even LIKED what he created. Not everything an artist creates is a masterpiece.
 
BURIAL PATH

 
This was inspired by his interested in death. Crows seem to be the focal point of this short piece. Out of focus shots. Incredibly zoomed in frames. Sometimes even shots shown for a few frames. His cuts are sporadic. What are we really seeing? Are we seeing anything? Is it important? It has to be important otherwise he wouldn't have shown it. Is that really the case? A lot of questions with very little answers.
 
Robert
 
I love Stan Brakhage and was turned on to his films by a co-worker at some dumb museum that I used to work at. My favorite thing about him is his use of Super 8 film. The color is unreal. As if a child drew really accurate pictures with a fist full of crayons. He rewinds his stock (by hand thru a wind in a Super 8 cartridge) and films over previously exposed film creating two or even more then two images on the frames at once. His early stuff is cool, but he finally gets around to sound later, which really adds an important element to what his films matured to be. Sound is extremely important to set a mood, even if its lack sound.
 
I wanted to talk about THE DANTE QUARTET.

 
I never knew it was based off of a poem. Totally just wiki'd that shit. But I have seen this film a few few years ago, found it just now, wiki'd, read the poem, then watched it again. Here's the poem from Dante's, The Divine Comedy.
"Then comes a moment when suddenly I can't handle the language anymore, like I can't read one more translation of The Divine Comedy, and suddenly I realize it's in my eyes all the time, that I have a vision of Hell, I have even more necessary kind of a way of getting out of Hell, kind of a springboard in my thinking, closing my eyes and thinking what I'm seeing [...] and also purgation, that I can go through the stages of purging the self, of trying to become pure, free of these ghastly visions, and then there is something that's as close to Heaven as I would hope to aspire to, which I call "existence is song." And that all of that was in my eyes all the time, backfiring all these years [...] It's lovely that I can have the language, but I also have a visual corollary of it, but that is a story."
Brakhage painted onto 65mm aka 70mm aka IMAX aka Lawrence of Arabia sized film. He had a lot more control over how he painted his images onto the film print.
 
If you think Stan Brakhage did lots of drugs, check out Harry Smith.


Jan-Kristoff

 Brakhage has also been considered a disciple of Sidney Peterson, an avant-garde filmmaker at the time, famous for producing significant artifacts of the San Francisco Renaissance as films at the California School of Fine Arts. He was also known for making extensive use of anamorphic shooting in his films, a technique of capturing a widescreen picture on standard 35mm film.
This also brings about the importance of respecting the camera’s proclivity towards sharp-focus, precisionist images. This involves an inclination or predisposition on the landscape where it would be depicted in precise, sharply defined, geometrical forms. Looking at a series of films in that aspect, ‘Lovesong’ was described as “a hand-printed visualization of sex in the mind’s eye.”
In this film, it looks like the images were photographed while still wet. They also move slower as there are only two to three images per second, giving us the time to enjoy the abstract shapes and the rotation of the rich colors through the palette.
‘Mothlight’ is like staring at a bright light surrounded by moths. With this instance, Brakhage’s emphasizes in the simplicity in not depicting reality but a reproduction of reality, a concept which is also implied with


‘The Garden of Earthly Delights.’ The beauty of this film also comes in that no camera was used. It was made by pressing objects between two strips of clear mylar film and passing them through an optical printer. The pieces all look similar in a larger scale but there are detailed differences in colors used, patterns of the color’s movements, the way the patterns are layered, the length of the patterns and the intervals, the additional materials and so on.


Elizabeth

EYE MYTH


Continue through this Lens. Stan Brakhage was born Robert Sanders. By the time Brakhage got around to making Eye Myth, he had been a filmmaker for 15 years. A nine second long short, this film features images directly drawn onto 35mm film. Composed of all drawn images, they fly at you so rapidly you can’t make sense of it other than one central image, which is a person. I watched this film 3 times, and by the third I started thinking. 
Prior to making this film Brakhage was diagnosed with a medical condition that caused rapid eye movements. This would explain the structure. When asked to describe this film, Brakhage explained “In the eyes, constantly, the eyes are flaring with little... stories, little forms and shapes, some of which are quite disturbing, like the swastika... The little myth that's made up of bits and pieces of painted things onto a piece of film that’s called an Eye Myth. In other words, it’s not a word myth; myth means mouth, actually... but an Eye Myth is kind of beautifully oxymoronic” 
An Eye Myth. Brakhage views people and places as little bits of information, collected together in little stories and pictures, but are truly just pieces. What he sees is a myth, what he sees is not really there because he understands we aren’t we. We are us. We are what we put in our minds. 
My honest reaction to this film was that its imagery reminded me of an anxiety attack.When one has an anxiety attack, they freak out of no physical reaction. But as soon as someone calms them down or they take a deep breath, one can reassess the situation and find some sort of clarity. But until then, one is extremely emotionally overwhelmed, much like the visuals of this piece. This film towards the end releases some clarity, as we see the image of the man become more clear, and we can see what he’s doing. 

14 comments:

  1. I enjoy the film selections made by this group of Brakhage work. My favorite of tham all was "The Dante Quartet." I love his interpretatin of the poem and the color schemes he used to create the different levels of Dante's inferno. Although some of his films made me dizzy while watching them, it also made me questioned if that was the purpose of that piece of work. Inspite of the dizzy feelings, Brakhage work eminds me of Jonas Mekas' Walden: Diaries, Notes and Sketches. The sensory feelings that these two artist evokes in their viewers are metaphoric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The films we watched made me feel a bit bewildered. The use of the color pallets and raid movement were a great technique and the colors evoked a sense of sadness for me.Since i have no experience with the world of film i was just confused as to what was going on, the group members did their best to explain to the class the different methods used in the films but i was still confused.My main question is why the intensity in creating such a film with such colors and rapid visuals? It seems a little to much to absorb at once, his films remind me of dreams where everything is scattered and i cannot keep up with whats going on and the disillustion of everything moving to fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As we discussed in class, good poets slough off the old ways: fixed forms, styles and context.
    I assume the reason why Brakhage created this extreme way of filmmaking is that he was always outsider from the mainstream filmmaking. As Hussein explained, he was always failure in his early career. 50's is golden era of Hollywood films which created the conventions of filmmaking and mainstream filmmaking standard. But since he was a failure in the aspect, I assumed as a filmmaker he went to the opposite direction which is extreme visual poem. French new wave which can be considered as a counter-culture of Hollywood film, started in early 60's. (some French new wave filmmakers are very inspired by Oson Welles though.) Also, Brakhage's success as a filmmaker started in 60's too.

    By watching his films, I felt like Brakhage challenges himself how much he can put emotional impact on the viewers with a completely new and unconventional grammar of visuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to post a comment later on this afternoon, but I just want to put this blurb out here for consideration in the interim.

    "Imagine an eye unruled by manmade laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure in perception[...]Imagine a world alive with incomprehensible objects and shimmering with an endless variety of movement and innumerable gradations of color. Imagine a world before the 'beginning was the word.'"
    - Stan Brakhage, from METAPHORS ON VISION

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say Brakage has a unique way of film making. The films shown in class were very confusing for me. At first I thought Brakage was kind of crazy or on something. He seems to create a dizzying but memorble sensory experience for veiwers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was unable appreciate the beauty in his films because the speedy, continous movement, and glaring lights made it very difficult to watch the films. I noticed that he used many colors and they blended well. He interchanged colors and lights. My perception of Brakage is that of someone on medication of whom had several ideas and could not focus on one at time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brakhage's work to me is real world. Other filmmakers try to display a clean cut, well organized sense of reality, but life is not like that. When we watch other films there are actors and screen plays and situations that happen for a reason. Brakhage to me just brings life to life. His work doesn’t seem to put together and less than real, insects and train rides are not in slow motion and overly portrayed. He brought forth things we don't acknowledge, the fast glimpse we take of insects that fly in front of our face, or the things we see while looking through the train window. Brakhage's work is life at a glance brought to the light. Even though his work is erratic, it's still an interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As we touched on with Koch near the end of our discussion, some of the most affecting -- or at least interesting -- encounters are such because they function or exist on a cusp where we are not simply enlightened to an aesthetic experience. We are positioned at a collision of choice: desire vs. nostalgia, dream vs. memory, art vs. life. Though we may not be enlivened to tip to either side, preferring or only capable of symmetry (or, to swallow my idealism, nostalgia: memory: life), many artists struggle with crossing the fence.

    For Brakhage, it’s a matter of perception or visual rhetoric (if only our sight could speak! or does it?). Perception -- and rhetoric -- implies a station (a point of reference) and a projection. The difficulties of perception that Brakhage means to challenge are ones that emanate from the personal station, like directions. I say, “I will walk left,” and if you are standing behind me, you see me do so because left is the relative word that I have for that particular direction, meaning the same from your station as it does mine. Now, if you were in front of me and I were to say, “I will walk left,” I would be walking to the right to you, and you would say, “Well, it looks like you’re walking right.” The name for direction of the walk is a rhetorical construct that is projected from where you understand yourself to be. The same could be said of visual rhetoric, but visual rhetoric does not manifest itself as words -- although, we do recognize things in the world as we do words on a page -- as the word would come AFTER cognition attaches a visual, more immediate meaning to a thing. The attachment we make is a small persuasion -- we are visually spoken to; hence, visual rhetoric -- and the seeming difficulty here is what Brakhage is largely involved in exploring: how can we not be persuaded?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I was watching each video that was posted by the group, it was actully great that I was able to see another side of Brakhage other than the video we saw in class. The video in class really got me a little sick, but when I was watching the first video "The Wonder Ring" with the music it gave it a mysterious feel and suspense. Then I watched it again without the music I felt like I was getting a normal tour and experience of a train station and a train ride, without being scared of something popping out at me. There were a lot of movement that was created by the train passing by and the buildings and scenery when he was filming on the train. MY favorite video out of all the rest was "THE DANTE QUARTET" I know nothing about film making so thanks Robert for the little lesson. When I watched the video I felt like there were a bunch of paintings captured on a camcorder one after another. Even though I really dont know why I like it so much I felt like I was getting hypnotized with all the colors and movements, it created an illusion which I never seen in a film before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was kind of funny. "If you think Stan Brakhage did a lot of drugs, check out Harry Smith." I think a majority of artists and filmmakers were doing crazy drugs but thats is besides the point. I definitely tip my hat to Stan Braghage for taking a risk because that something that is crucial in art, writing, and even life. I think it is important to step outside ones box. Even if you fail with a project, I sure that what you did you will find something good in what you have done even if it is the smallest thing. It may even inspire you to do something else or inspire someone else. I am not saying that Brakhage is a failure by any means. All I'm saying is that he took a risk, did his own thing, and should definitely be respected for it.

    I know I had to leave class early. I thank whoever posted these videos. You saved me a lot of time. Also it is always nice to watch or do work at the comfort at you own home compared to sitting on the hard chairs of the library. I agree with the fact that it is a sensory experience. The beauty is seeing it from his eyes in the first person. When you walk around is everything perfectly straight? No, your move your head and your eyes jump to different things. You may also sneeze and shake things up. You may also nod your head while listening to music. I think it was interesting being able to see things through his eyes and not the eyes of a conventional film maker attempting to make things perfect for the audience. Not that I don't love conventional movies because I do. I just think its good to see things one hasn't seen before. It is like Professor Dodson about perception. Perception is huge in the film. Visual Rhetoric is an extremely interesting topic to me because I think visual images communicate just as much as words do. There is no denying that visuals speak to us and communicate with us. That is the beauty in art. It is about how you feel about something and trying to figure out how someone else felt about the same thing. How can we not be persuaded? That is a tough question to ask honestly. I think the question to ask is, Can we not be persuaded?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brakhage's films definitely interested me. The things he showed were really cool. I thought the films where he didn't use a camera, Mothlight for example, was really awesome. Some of them made me slightly dizzy but hey its the total effect. I really liked how he showed his interests and had a cohesive idea to his films. The elevated train film I found a little funny to me because I felt like I was on the train with him. Especially since the thigns he showed are exactly the things I look at when im on the train. i also really enjoyed the films with paint and noticed his specific use of colors in each one. For example, in The Dante Quartet depicting hell he switched to using alot of black with the brighter colors. I like Katrina's words in that Brakhage films the "real world". I definitely agree with her. And I feel that is what makes his work more appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bklynzbestchic is Annmarie. Sorry guys. Still can't change it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brakhage definitely gives me a headache. That being said, his work is extremely mesmerizing. I think that him being diagnosed with rapid eye movement lends a hand to why these films are all over the place. I only wonder if they truly are just random pictures put together for the sake of doing it, or if there is a greater meaning which we do not know about. His art is without a doubt creative, and I find myself confused. Sometimes I think good art should make you confused though..sometimes I don't. Pretty much, I am much more well versed in poetry than I am in film, so I'm going to embrace this confusion and appreciate his art for what it is..art.

    ReplyDelete